Including Your Honey In Your Home Design
I am a firm believer that when you create a life with someone, it should be equal parts both of you. From the wedding day, to the adventures, to even the design of your home. All aspects should reflect the couple, not an individual. And since design is my specialty (and passion at that) I’ll share a few ways I personally included my Honey in my home design.
The Back Story: Alex bought his home in the beginning of our relationship, and I moved in about 11 months later. Believe it or not, 11 months is PLENTY of time to take a clean slate and make it completely bachelor pad. Needless to say, when I moved in, I had a lot of work to do. But I love this man. Everything about him… Including his unique style and interests. So I didn’t want to rid him from the home at all, I just wanted to style it up a bit. And from this experience is born this simple, design inspo, “How To!”
First things first, figure out what you’re working with… You’ve got a (figurative) pile of what’s GOT to go, and then a much smaller pile with some decent potential. So here’s what I ended up with:
- A few pieces of wall art, which I promptly re-framed
- An old cow skull which I’m actually obsessed with
- A wall-mount coat rack which just needed repainting
- A few old, rustic fishing poles
Then as I added to the home, I kept his taste in mind…
- He’s always liked skulls, hence the skull head
- He loves his whiskey, so a bar space was necessary
- I chose patterns that speak to the edge in his style
- And I kept to a gender-neutral color palette
Now he loves our home as much as I do, and feels at ease in every space. That’s the goal, after all, in good home design…to create an environment that fosters peace of mind.
Have an idea to add to this topic? I would LOVE to hear it, as my home is ever evolving. We call that a #DesignerProblem… Sorry not sorry.