This past weekend, Alex and I took a tiny trip to Key West. Just two days and two nights, but as always it was just perfect. Only a few short months into dating, we did the same thing…and we are convinced that’s where we fell in love. So this trip is a really special one, and the Keys are near and dear to our hearts. If you’re looking to book a quick trip with your loved one, you’ve got to consider Key West.
Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville | I mean…a classic. You can’t go to Key West and not stop by Margaritaville. You may even need a shirt… I may or may not have one.
Schooner Wharf Bar | An outdoor bar/restaurant on the water in “old town” Key West. The band of older men is super sarcastic and entertaining, and shoes and shirt are definitely optional.
Ana’s Cafè Cubano | The tiniest of cafès, with the best Cuban sandwich! Alex died for their spicy Cuban, while I kept it original with their authentic. You will probably overeat because you can’t stop…
Sloppy Joe’s | One of my favorite places in all of Key West. The lunch menu is to die…and see below for the evening scene.
Sloppy Joe’s | Ahhh Sloppy Joe’s. Home to a plethora of mediocre cover bands that feature songs from every decade of life! The drink prices are good, and you will dance and sing the night away. Expect a sore throat the following day.
Fat Tuesday | A very, very close second favorite. You’ve probably heard of Fat Tuesday before…but no location compares to Key West. Their entire wall of blended adult beverages provides a thirst quench for any and all taste buds, and their music guarantees you’ll be booty poppin’ all night (or in my case, trying to). AKA what’s not to like?
Rick’s Bar | A two story indoor(ish)/outdoor bar who’s happy hour includes all you can drink for $15 from 9pm-12am… Need I say more?
Rent Mopeds | We really enjoy renting from HydroThunder, as they don’t break down on you (yes, some other companies do). Honestly, neither Alex nor I had done this before we met, and now it is our favorite thing about the trip. Take a tinyyy break from drinking, and explore the island by moped!
Smathers Beach | A super mediocre beach (however, I am spoiled by St. Pete/Clearwater), but the only real beach on the island. You have to go just to say you have…and if you go on the right day, the food trucks have some REALLY good crab cake sandwiches.
Booze Cruise | I think this is a must do! Take your pick of multiple cruises (each of which is only a few hours long) depending on whether you want to snorkel, dolphin watch, or simply enjoy the sunset from the water. All offering all you can drink, but only after you’re done with your swim (safety first!).
Drag Show | Judge me all you want…but don’t knock it till you try it! The drinks are super over-priced but the entertainment is prime. If you’re sensitive to dirty humor, this is not the place for you.
Southernmost Point | Literally a giant buoy that says “Southernmost Point” on it…because it is the southernmost point of the continental USA. There will be an obnoxiously long line for photos, so just stand a few feet away and take a selfie 🙂 It’s just something you have to do!
Still on my bucket list
Ernest Hemingway House | All I know is there are a LOT of cats and I’m sucker for an old American novelist…so obvi I will be checking this out.
Dante’s Pool Bar & Restaurant | Basically a Vegas pool party, but in Florida. I have yet to go but I’ve heard a million good things.
Key West is very casual… Unless you are going for Spring Break and just feel like being extra (which I definitely have been there, done that) you honestly can get away with wearing your swimwear and cover up anywhere and everywhere, at all hours. In fact, that’s all I wore this entire trip. But that’s one of the things I love about the island life! There’s no expectation except for you to show up and have fun. And I guarantee you will!
Get your first month of Rocksbox free with my Coupon Code: coffeewithkyliexoxo
This post is NOT sponsored.
These are the items that I have been LIVING by this Summer…and I guarantee I will continue using in Fall. I know, there have been a lot of super cute trends as of late…but I wanted to highlight the essentials that I use nearly every week.
- Lipstick in Pale Mauve // I swear, this is the perfect neutral pink for Summer. It is slightly more contrasting than your typical nude, while still providing a super fresh, natural, clean look. Not to mention it is moisturizing. And for chap stick obsessed ladies like me, that’s a win.
- Natural Straw Hat // The must-have of must-haves. Tryna look cute but don’t feel like showering? Throw this on over yesterday’s (or the day before’s) hair for an effortless but put-together Summer look.
- Wrap-Front Maxi Dress // When I want to be comfortable yet a little dressed up, this wrap-front maxi dress is my go to. Throw it on with some gladiator flats and a pop of color on the lip and you are ready for Sunday Funday or a casual night out.
- Slip-On Mesh Heel // I am literally obsessed. I wear these shoes MULTIPLE times a week. Whether for work, or all those wedding festivities that come with Summer, these slip-on’s are not only precious (and match everything) but also about as comfortable as a heel can get. You’ll be able to last all day (or night).
- SPF 50+ CC Cream // An absolute Summer necessity. Just replace your facial sunscreen with this CC Cream. It is tinted, with light coverage, for a nice and even look…and the SPF 50+ is all the protection your skin needs. I have been using this all Summer (in Florida) and have yet to get burnt.
- High-Waisted Bikini // This suit has been everything for me this Summer. I’m going to be honest, I haven’t been feeling my most fit. So not only do I LOVE the color and fit, but I love that it’s just the right amount of coverage. I still feel a little sexy without revealing my lower belly (aka my problem area). However, I highly recommend no matter what shape you’re in!
- Dream Big Eyeshadow Palette // I just added this to my beauty collection…and I could not be more excited about it. I’ve been super into shimmers and pinks, and this palette is where it’s at. The shadows are super pigmented, hold without a primer, and honestly are a statement all on their own. So when I’m in a hurry, or don’t feel like wearing eyeliner, I go to this palette for a quick and simple finished look.
- Brunch Babe Baseball Hat // In Summer in Florida it rains a lot…so a cute baseball hat is a must. I rock this at country concerts, when running errands, even when grabbing a casual meal with friends. And I love the soft pink as it’s a fun spin off a neutral…AKA it matches everything.
- Cool Blonde Shades Reviving Balm // If you know me you know that I am a frugal shopper…HOWEVER I will always splurge on my hair. And this Cool Blonde Reviving Balm is something I could not live without. To me, nothing is worse than when your cool locks start to go brassy. Hence, this product. The fake-blonde’s super hero! Especially when you want you hair light and bright for Summer.
- Head/Neck Bandana // I seriously just feel like these are the cutest. A bandana on the neck can dress up any outfit, but I have been super obsessed with them in my hair. Especially when I’m headed to the beach or pool…I put it on my head, and wrap and tuck yesterday’s curls, for a boho, beachy, feminine look.
I’m hoping this list is helpful and practical…and will make your life just a little bit easier and more beautiful. Let me know your thoughts below! What items do you use on a weekly basis?