I feel like we’re always talking about our fancy beauty obsessions…but what about those forgotten and miscellaneous drug store items we use everyday? I feel like they’re pretty important and deserve some attention too… So I’ve rounded up the ones that I could not live without.
- Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer | Seriously…I can’t live without this stuff. I know I’m not the only person who’s legs tan way slower than the rest of their body. This lotion is the perfect fix for a natural, quick glow, and the application is no different that any other body lotion. Just wash your hands after so your nails don’t turn orange!
- Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Dry Shampoo | This is a new obsession of mine. I was a firm believer that I would never find a drug store dry shampoo that didn’t make my hair feel dirty…UNTIL, I actually ended up borrowing this from my mom! Now, I’m addicted! My hair seriously feels freshly washed after application, and it even leaves my hands silky smooth.
- Physicians Formula Vegas Shimmer Strip | Did you check out my everyday makeup routine last week on my YouTube channel? If so, then you know all about this stuff. If not, then you better go watch it! 😉 I’ll make it easy – Click HERE
- Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo + Conditioner | Okay…this is going to be TMI. I used to have bacne. There, I said it. And it turns out it was in part due to my previous shampoo/conditioner! Not only does Pureology give my fragile hair the strength and nutrition it needs, it also makes it smell good AND cleared up my skin. We call that a win, win, win!
- Goody Ouchless Latex Elastics | Can you say, braids, anyone?!? They are my go to when I’m feeling too lazy to do my hair…and are just one of the many styles when these clear hair ties come in handy. Let’s just say I buy a new pack just about monthly.
- Carmex Chapstick | The best chapstick around. I don’t care what you say.
- CHI Silk Infusion Reconstructing Complex | It’s one of those ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ things… I’ve been using this CHI hair oil for years and it would take MUCH convincing for me to switch. My naturally dry ends are continuously thanking me.
- Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer | Refer to item #3.
- Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes | In the last few months I have adjusted my skin care routine, and these facial wipes have been a game changer for me. I made a change because, frankly, I just felt like my skin wasn’t completely clean. So now, before my foaming cleanser, I will remove my makeup with these…and y’all, my skin has never felt so fresh or been so clear!
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunscreen | I live in Florida if you didn’t know…and ’round here we use sunscreen all year long. And like many, I prefer something that doesn’t feel oily, and personally, I don’t want all that spray getting in my hair. Hence, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer – It doesn’t clog my pours, and leaves my skin silky smooth, with very little leftover residue on my hands.
What are your ride or die drug store products?? Ready, set, go!
This post is not sponsored.
9 Unconventional Tips For Financial Prosperity [and Mental Sanity] | A “How To” for Survival When Money Is Tight
Money is one of those things that is always heavy on my heart… I know, it seems dramatic, but I can’t be the only one. One thing I have decided in my adult life is that I’m going to refuse to let it stress me out. So instead of going into full panic mode when I’ve spent a little more on life than I had hoped to, I have come up with a plan to get myself back in check. In sharing a few of my tips and tricks with y’all, I hope to help you some way on your road to financial success!
Pay your bills up front
This is the first tip that comes to my mind. Make sure your obligations and priorities are taken care of the day you receive your paycheck! This way, you’ll know what you are working with to make it through (dare I say, thrive?) the rest of the month.
Make a list of the month’s financial priorities
Do you have a lot of atypical expenses lately? For me, it’s the wedding season that’s doing me in… Regardless of what seems to be draining your finances, it’s important to stay organized and have a payment plan. I’m old school and use the sticky note system…meaning I list all of my large expenses on sticky notes, and attach them in my planner to the week that I plan to pay. Therefore, I’ve got a plan, and am spreading out my payments evenly…and not dropping a ton of money at once.
Put 10% of your paycheck away
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…if you are physically able to put this money away, DO IT. A mentor/financial adviser gave me this advice, and although I can’t always stick to it, I will never forget it.
Remind yourself of your long term goals
I’ll be honest, I don’t like to save money. And being really honest, I LOVE to shop. So sometimes it’s hard for me to say no…whether to the earrings, the coffee, the justified sale purchase, you name it. But what helps me combat this weakness of mine is reminding myself of my goals. Lately it’s been the condo reno, or that trip to Iceland that I want so bad, or even saving for our future wedding (not engaged, just a dreamer ;)). Whatever it is for you, latch onto it…and the process will become SO much easier.
Find things to do that are fun AND free
This really is key. Instead of tripping with your girls to the mall, opt for a low key day at the beach. Been really needing a date with bae? Make sammies at home and find a new picnic spot. Take your dog to the dog park, ride your bike through town, have a Netflix wine/tea night (like, are you even compromising?). There are so many fun things to do that don’t require your wallet!
Turn your attention to something else
For me, lately, it’s been exercise. I have been really working on my health regime. I find that when I am setting fitness goals for myself, my attention goes there instead of on the latest trend. On the same note, I also use Bible study. If I find that I am pulling out that card too much, I turn my focus more towards Jesus, and can always find fulfillment in the Word.
Find an inexpensive way to treat yourself
You work hard. You deserve to be treated. But some months the treatment must be more affordable than others. When I’m cutting back, I still allow myself a few things…like that $55 mani/pedi. Because y’all, we all need to wind down. Just find a way to do it without breaking the bank.
Remember that happiness does not come from your wallet
Just a few Bible verses that keep me grounded:
Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” | Luke 12:15
Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. | 1 Timothy 6:9-10
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. | 1 Timothy 6:17-18
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. | Proverbs 31:30
Know that you are not alone
In our social media heavy world, it is so hard not to compare yourself to others. In the same light, it is SO easy to create a false image of yourself. Remember that most of what you see is the highlight reel, and that everyone has their own struggles. I will never pretend to be rich or perfect…because I am FAR from either. And what you should know is that you are not alone! I am not the only person living paycheck to paycheck…I am not the only person who can’t afford the designer heels…I am not the only person who is still getting their ish together. And y’all, we are ALL OK! And on that note, remember you are in your 20’s…you are YOUNG and not supposed to have it figured out.
How do you stay on track when your expenses are off the charts? I am always looking for new advice.